Welcome to our Coast to Coast Walk blog

Please join us in sponsorship as we walk across England in support of the Yes to Life charity. We are a mother (Jo) and daughter(Imogen), partner David and friend Vidya. We will be taking out our walking boots and traversing the hilly terrain of the English Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, and North York Moors on the Wainwright Coast to Coast walk. This walk is being undertaken in loving memory of Bryony Daly who passed away from cancer in 2004 aged 23 yrs. Her death was a tragedy and Yes to Life was founded to provide much needed support and information to cancer sufferers who have a right to know what their options for alternative care are. We will set out on our epic journey on June 7th, 2010 and hopefully find ourselves on the opposite coast 2 weeks later. Please support us by sponsoring the miles we will walk, the blisters we will get, the rain we will endure and the falling into bed that we will do. As we count the miles, it will be great to know that each new mile brings a new pound, dollar or euro to such a worthy cause! Please click on the link below to learn more about the walk:
www.wainwright.org.uk/coasttocoast.html

Friday, June 25, 2010

Thoughts at the end











Well -it's all over -we made it! Here are a few photos from our last day and arrival in Robin Hood's Bay where we joined fellow walkers at the Wainwright bar for a local brew in the Bay Hotel. As everyone has done before us since Alfred Wainwright first did this walk in 1971, we went down to the beach, dipped our boots in the North Sea and threw in the pebbles we had carried with us from St Bees. Yeah!!

My feelings at the end? For me the walk was an odyssey, conceived and planned for over a year -something that I had to do. I loved every moment of it, wind rain, sore feet and all and I feel so privileged to have had this chance to walk through some of England's finest countryside and meet such lovely people and raise money for Yes to Life at the same time. I found my walking legs - painful at first but they became stronger and stronger and carried me all that way without too much grumbling. Another really big thing to be grateful for. I managed to be chief map reader and not get us lost too often - a big surprise I must say! I loved having the opportunity to spend two weeks with Imogen who inspired me to challenge myself and to enjoy an outdoor life whatever the weather. Imo went in the sea for a dip after the walk - too chilly for me! That's my main feeling - gratitude for having had this amazing journey with Imogen, David and Vidya and gratitude to all of the people who supported us with their donations and good vibes. Thank you all and thank you Alfred Wainwright!!
Jo

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a truly fantastic, inspiring accomplishment! Thanks so much for keeping in touch - looking forward to hearing more in person!

    ReplyDelete